Saturday, June 3, 2023
Saturday, June 3, 2023
11.8 C
HomePet Industry NewsPet Insurance News5 dangerous plants that are hazardous for animals revealed by professional

5 dangerous plants that are hazardous for animals revealed by professional


Related stories

- Advertisement -

Catrin George, dog insurance coverage professional and Animal Wellbeing Specialist at Animal Friends Pet Insurance, has actually offered guidance on which flowers are hazardous for cats and dogs.

Here are 5 of the flowers you ought to prevent if you’re thinking about gifting flowers to a family pet owner.

5 flowers that are hazardous for cats and dogs


The Leader: Pet owners should avoid lilies in their home, expert says Pet owners ought to prevent lilies in their home, professional says (Image: Canva)

- Advertisement -

While lilies can include charm to an arrangement, they can be exceptionally unsafe to our furry pals.

Catrin discusses that lilies can “cause nausea, vomiting and other serious long-term health issues.”

As an outcome, Catrin would “strongly advise against gifting this flower to a dog owner this Mother’s Day.”

If you do get lilies, you’ll require to do more than put them on a high rack.

- Advertisement -

Catrin included: “Cats can definitely enter those tough to reach locations and although they might not actively consume the plant, if they brush up versus it, getting pollen on their fur and after that clean themselves, this can make them really ill.

“If you think that your pet may have accidentally ingested any part of a lily, please seek medical advice from your vet immediately.”


The Leader: Tulips are also poisonous to petsTulips are likewise dangerous to animals (Image: Canva)

- Advertisement -

While tulips can be an enjoyable tip that Spring is on its method, this flower is not appropriate for family pet owners to have at home.

Catrin discusses that these flowers “contain molecules known as glycosides which can lead to several health issues in dogs and cats. It is not widely known but they are part of the lily family.”

The professional included: “The bulb is where the highest levels of toxin exist but the stem, leaves and flowers also contain these glycosides. Even ingesting small amounts can cause vomiting, change in respiratory rate or even result in death. If you suspect that your pet has ingested any part of a tulip, please seek immediate advice from your vet.”


The Leader: Those gifting flowers to pet owners should be aware of the flowers that are harmful, expert saysThose gifting flowers to family pet owners ought to know the flowers that are hazardous, professional says (Image: Canva)

If you’re thinking about gifting flowers to a dog owner, you ought to prevent peonies.

This is since the plant “contains paenol, a type of compound which is toxic to dogs and cats”, Catrin recommends.

The professional included: “If accidentally ingested, dogs can become seriously ill. The paenol tends to be concentrated in the bark and when ingested can cause gastrointestinal distress. If you suspect that your fur family have accidently ingested any part of this plant, please speak to your vet.”

Why dogs should not consume chocolate


The Leader: Daffodils are harmful to petsDaffodils are hazardous to animals (Image: Canva)

More spring flowers you’ve most likely begun to see once again are daffodils and while they’re intense and an indication of a brand-new season beginning, they aren’t without their threats.

Dogs and cats require to be kept well away from daffodils and family pet owners ought to be additional vigilant when out walking their dogs as daffodils are typically planted along walk paths.

Catrin cautions family pet owners about this flower, stating: “With a minimum of 25 various types of daffodils and countless hybrids, you’re bound to see lots of these flowers around Mother’s Day and basic spring.

“Daffodils, nevertheless, consist of alkaloids and glycosides (likewise to tulips) which are extremely hazardous to both dogs and cats.

“Please know that the entire plant is hazardous, specifically the bulb. If you have daffodils in your garden, please make sure specifically if your dog likes to dig, as intake can rapidly trigger serious stomach inflammation with throwing up, diarrhoea, stomach discomfort and extreme drooling.

“Again, if you think that your pet has ingested any part of a daffodil, please seek advice from your veterinarian.”


The Leader: Hyacinths are also harmful to petsHyacinths are likewise hazardous to animals (Image: Canva)

These flowers ought to likewise be prevented for family pet owners, Catrin has actually alerted.

Hyacinths are a flower that “should be kept well away from dogs and cats as they contain toxic calcium oxalate crystals”.

Serious health problems can be brought on by hyacinths whether they’re planted in the garden or potted within.

For more details on dog insurance coverage or to read more about family pet ideas or techniques, you can check out the Animal Friends Pet Insurance website.

Catrin said: “Ingestion of hyacinths (or hyacinth bulbs) can trigger major health problems, however likewise even trigger signs if breathed in too. 

“Typical signs include excessive drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. More severe cases when larger amounts have been ingested could see increased heart and respiratory rates or difficulty breathing. It is important to contact your vet if you suspect your pet has eaten any part of a hyacinth.”

While these are 5 unsafe plants for animals, Catrin discusses “this is not a comprehensive list” and if you are thinking about purchasing flowers for a cat or dog owner, “you should do your research.”

The professional includes: “There are many other plants which are more suitable, such as orchids, sunflowers and violets. If you are unsure or suspect your pet has ingested one of these listed toxic flowers you should contact your vet immediately.”

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here