Sunday, March 26, 2023
6.5 C
HomePet Industry NewsPet Insurance News5 harmful plants that are damaging for animals revealed by specialist

5 harmful plants that are damaging for animals revealed by specialist


Related stories

- Advertisement -

Catrin George, dog insurance coverage specialist and Animal Wellbeing Specialist at Animal Friends Pet Insurance, has actually offered suggestions on which flowers are harmful for cats and dogs.

Here are 5 of the flowers you ought to prevent if you’re thinking about gifting flowers to a family pet owner.

5 flowers that are harmful for cats and dogs


Stroud News and Journal: Pet owners should avoid lilies in their home, expert says Pet owners ought to prevent lilies in their home, specialist says (Image: Canva)

- Advertisement -

While lilies can include appeal to an arrangement, they can be extremely unsafe to our furry good friends.

Catrin describes that lilies can “cause nausea, vomiting and other serious long-term health issues.”

As an outcome, Catrin would “strongly advise against gifting this flower to a dog owner this Mother’s Day.”

If you do get lilies, you’ll require to do more than put them on a high rack.

- Advertisement -

Catrin included: “Cats can definitely enter those tough to reach locations and although they might not actively consume the plant, if they brush up versus it, getting pollen on their fur and after that clean themselves, this can make them really ill.

“If you think that your pet may have accidentally ingested any part of a lily, please seek medical advice from your vet immediately.”


Stroud News and Journal: Tulips are also poisonous to petsTulips are likewise harmful to animals (Image: Canva)

- Advertisement -

While tulips can be an enjoyable suggestion that Spring is on its method, this flower is not appropriate for family pet owners to have at home.

Catrin describes that these flowers “contain molecules known as glycosides which can lead to several health issues in dogs and cats. It is not widely known but they are part of the lily family.”

The specialist included: “The bulb is where the highest levels of toxin exist but the stem, leaves and flowers also contain these glycosides. Even ingesting small amounts can cause vomiting, change in respiratory rate or even result in death. If you suspect that your pet has ingested any part of a tulip, please seek immediate advice from your vet.”


Stroud News and Journal: Those gifting flowers to pet owners should be aware of the flowers that are harmful, expert saysThose gifting flowers to family pet owners ought to know the flowers that are damaging, specialist says (Image: Canva)

If you’re thinking about gifting flowers to a dog owner, you ought to prevent peonies.

This is due to the fact that the plant “contains paenol, a type of compound which is toxic to dogs and cats”, Catrin recommends.

The specialist included: “If accidentally ingested, dogs can become seriously ill. The paenol tends to be concentrated in the bark and when ingested can cause gastrointestinal distress. If you suspect that your fur family have accidently ingested any part of this plant, please speak to your vet.”

Why dogs should not consume chocolate


Stroud News and Journal: Daffodils are harmful to petsDaffodils are damaging to animals (Image: Canva)

More spring flowers you’ve most likely begun to see once again are daffodils and while they’re intense and an indication of a brand-new season beginning, they aren’t without their threats.

Dogs and cats require to be kept well away from daffodils and family pet owners ought to be additional vigilant when out walking their dogs as daffodils are frequently planted along walk paths.

Catrin alerts family pet owners about this flower, stating: “With a minimum of 25 various types of daffodils and countless hybrids, you’re bound to see lots of these flowers around Mother’s Day and basic spring.

“Daffodils, nevertheless, consist of alkaloids and glycosides (likewise to tulips) which are extremely harmful to both dogs and cats.

“Please understand that the entire plant is harmful, particularly the bulb. If you have daffodils in your garden, please make sure particularly if your dog likes to dig, as consumption can rapidly trigger extreme stomach inflammation with throwing up, diarrhoea, stomach discomfort and extreme drooling.

“Again, if you think that your pet has ingested any part of a daffodil, please seek advice from your veterinarian.”


Stroud News and Journal: Hyacinths are also harmful to petsHyacinths are likewise damaging to animals (Image: Canva)

These flowers ought to likewise be prevented for family pet owners, Catrin has actually cautioned.

Hyacinths are a flower that “should be kept well away from dogs and cats as they contain toxic calcium oxalate crystals”.

Serious health problems can be triggered by hyacinths whether they’re planted in the garden or potted within.

For more details on dog insurance coverage or for more information about family pet suggestions or techniques, you can go to the Animal Friends Pet Insurance website.

Catrin said: “Ingestion of hyacinths (or hyacinth bulbs) can trigger major health problems, however likewise even trigger signs if breathed in too. 

“Typical signs include excessive drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. More severe cases when larger amounts have been ingested could see increased heart and respiratory rates or difficulty breathing. It is important to contact your vet if you suspect your pet has eaten any part of a hyacinth.”

While these are 5 unsafe plants for animals, Catrin describes “this is not a comprehensive list” and if you are thinking about purchasing flowers for a cat or dog owner, “you should do your research.”

The specialist includes: “There are many other plants which are more suitable, such as orchids, sunflowers and violets. If you are unsure or suspect your pet has ingested one of these listed toxic flowers you should contact your vet immediately.”

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles