The RVC has printed new analysis which has revealed the 20 most typical problems and the everyday lifespan of pet hamsters.
The research1, the most important on the earth thus far, investigated anonymised veterinary scientific information of a random pattern of virtually 4,000 hamsters.
The three most typical hamster species have been Syrian (golden) hamster (73.5%), Djungarian (winter white dwarf) hamster (13.8%) and Roborovski hamster (6.4%).
From an inventory of the 20 most typical problems throughout all hamster species, the most typical problems have been “moist tail” – (diarrhoea or liquid discharge) (7.33%), chunk accidents from different hamsters (5.88%), overgrown nails (4.13%), overgrown entrance tooth (3.98%) and traumatic harm (3.80%).
The common age at demise throughout all hamsters was 21 months (1.75 years).
The RVC says a greater consciousness of the typical lifespan of pet hamsters ought to assist veterinary surgeons construct sensible expectations for hamster homeowners and may additionally assist homeowners settle for the animal welfare profit for euthanasia.
It’s also useful to assist kids perceive the everyday pure lifecycle of pet hamsters.
Different findings included:
- The commonest causes of deaths have been “moist tail” (7.9%), stomach mass (6.4%), most cancers (5.4%) and issue respiration (4.0%).
- In comparison with different kinds of hamster, Syrian (golden) hamsters had increased threat of seven/20 (35%) widespread problems and decrease odds of 1/20 (5%) widespread problems teams.
- Problems with highest threat in Syrian (golden) hamsters in contrast with hamsters that weren’t Syrian (golden) included: feminine reproductive dysfunction (x 5.19), urinary system dysfunction (x 5.04) and urge for food problems (x2.68).
- The dysfunction with the bottom threat in Syrian (golden) hamsters was traumatic harm (x 0.34).
- The common lifetime dysfunction rely throughout all hamsters was one dysfunction though the Syrian (golden) hamster had the next variety of problems than the opposite two species.
Dr Dan O’Neill, Affiliate Professor in Companion Animal Epidemiology on the RVC and lead creator of the paper, mentioned: “Hamsters could make good pets for each adults and youngsters however till now, little or no was printed about their well being.
“Dad and mom can now assist their kids with sensible expectations of how lengthy their hamster might dwell and what are the most typical situations to look out for to guard the well being of those pleasant little creatures.”
The RVC has an recommendation sheet on hamster care right here: https://rvc.uk.com/hamster-care.
- O’Neill et al. (2022) “Demography, problems and mortality of pet hamsters underneath major veterinary care within the UK in 2016” Journal of Small Animal Follow
PS: While you are right here, take a second to see our newest job alternatives for vets.