Although “the more the merrier” isn’t a common rule, it’s positively one which applies to cat adoption. In specific, it’s extensively really useful to undertake two kittens as a substitute of getting your new feline fly solo. Adopting a cat is an thrilling (and generally overwhelming) expertise. All the hustle and bustle could cause one to fail to understand that the scenario is simply as scary in your new kitten as it’s for you. In this text, we’ll be speaking in regards to the many explanation why having two kittens be a part of your loved ones is at all times higher than one. These advantages aren’t only for the cats, either- it’d even make your life simpler!
How Kittens Learn From Each Other
Many young animals (people not exempt) profit from what’s known as “social learning.” This course of is strictly what it sounds like- studying new ideas, concepts, and mannerisms by watching another person do it first. If you’ve ever heard the phrase “Monkey see, monkey do,” then you realize precisely what we’re referring to. Kittens, particularly, be taught a number of helpful expertise by watching their siblings/different kittens carry out duties.
Some of the numerous issues that kittens can be taught from each other are:
- Grooming expertise
- Litter coaching
- Healthy consuming habits
- Communication strategies
Mental well being isn’t the place the benefits finish, either- having a play associate may significantly assist a cat’s bodily well-being as they age. Having a pal can encourage the cats to play properly into their older years, and it’s been studied that one-cat households have far better dangers for cat weight problems because of the substantial lower in exercise.
The Emotional Benefits of Multiple Kittens
Not solely can kittens be taught tangible, relevant expertise from each other, however being in a close-knit setting may foster a way of consolation and security in your new addition. Transitioning to a brand new atmosphere is frightening for everybody, even people, so cats are not any exception to this nervousness. Tackling an unfamiliar setting with one other kitten can add a way of reduction and safety that your kitten would in any other case not have.
This consolation extends over time, too. In the weeks following your kitten’s entrance into the home, you’ll discover that being with a buddy encourages them to discover sooner and with extra confidence. Having somebody to share these new experiences with makes the kittens really feel much less frightened and extra adventurous, an angle that’s significantly useful throughout the developmental interval of their lives.
The Benefits That Having Two Kittens Can Give Owners
Now that we’ve mentioned how adopting two kittens could make issues simpler on them, let’s discuss a bit bit in regards to the a number of ways in which it may well make issues simpler on you. Obviously, your first thought is likely to be alongside these strains: “Double the kittens, double the commitment.” In quite a lot of methods, a few of which we’ll focus on later, this sentiment is true. But, don’t low cost a few of the equally viable methods by which extra kittens imply a neater life.
1. No More Worrying About Isolation
Many individuals select to get cats as a result of they’re a lower-maintenance pet than dogs. This is semi-true, as dogs actually have larger wants for bodily exertion and exercise, however the reality is that cats crave companionship and detest isolation simply as a lot as every other pet.
With two kittens, you’ll be able to really feel alright leaving for these lengthy shifts and late nights out in town. No longer will it’s important to fear about whether or not or not your cat feels un-enriched or bored, as a result of they’ve a built-in buddy to play with at any time when they please. For busy house owners with hectic lives who nonetheless crave a furry pal, this generally is a nice burden to raise off your shoulders.
2. Less Aggression Toward Humans
If you’re the proprietor of a single cat, then you definately would possibly know all too properly that there are occasions when play can get out of hand. If you’ve gotten an vital assembly or are attempting to get chores finished, your cat can really feel personally slighted while you reject playtime. As such, they could take issues into their very own fingers and ‘playfully’ provide you with a little bit of sass within the type of a chomp or scratch. With two kittens, they’ll educate each other when ferocity is pointless, and the right way to keep away from letting play time get out of hand.
3. Easier Introduction To The Resident Housecat
Sometimes, grownup cats can have hassle acclimating to the introduction of a kitten. Even in circumstances the place your grownup cat isn’t outwardly aggressive, issues can get difficult as soon as the kitten’s excessive vitality ranges are thrown into the combination. When you’ve gotten two kittens, although, they’ll preserve one another firm away out of your older cat. This can take off the large burden of a gradual introduction as a result of your cat will have the ability to observe the kittens enjoying from a protected and cozy distance with out feeling agitated or bothered by the brand new presence. (Who knows- they could even be entertained by the free present!)
4. You’re Saving Two Lives Instead Of One
It could be remiss of us to not point out that 1.4 million cats are killed every year in shelters, and that’s simply domestically within the United States. While nobody person can save each cat in shelters, the chance to save lots of even one additional cat is sufficient to make a distinction of their lives. After all, extra cats within the home simply means extra like to be shared!
Strategies For Caring For Two Kittens
There is quite a bit to navigate in the case of adopting two kittens! Here is a fast, useful listing of some methods that may make your adaptation to this variation a lot simpler.
- Establish a strict feeding schedule to take care of routine.
- Use portion management to ensure every kitten will get their correct diet.
- Set up separate feeding areas to scale back competitors/stress.
- Consistently present the identical high-quality meals to each kittens.
- Have at the least one litter field per kitten (plus one additional if potential) to keep away from territorial points.
- Place litter containers away from one another and their meals.
- Clean litter containers each day, and carry out a deep cleansing weekly.
- Use the identical kind of litter for each kittens for constant, simple adaption.
- Establish a grooming routine early as a way to preserve coat well being and scale back any shedding.
- Groom each kittens directly to save lots of time and promote bonding.
- Bring your kittens to the vet on the identical time in order that issues can get finished effectively, and they are often much less scared.
- Make certain you retain a file of every kitten’s vaccinations and coverings which can be simply accessible to you!
Considerations You Should Take
While all the advantages we’ve talked about relating to adopting two kittens as a substitute of 1 are legitimate and prevalent, that doesn’t imply that you simply shouldn’t completely assume via this dedication earlier than leaping the gun and cruising all the way down to the shelter. Not each person lives a way of life that’s appropriate for pets, and candidly, not everybody can afford the additional meals, litter, and time that comes with doubling your animal depend.
That mentioned, there are some methods which you could fight these issues with rational options. For occasion:
- Investing in sturdy, high-quality toys and beds can prevent big sums of money in the long run. Plus, there’s no purpose why the kittens can not share these sorts of things.
- There are some ways in which you’ll be able to put money into bulk-sized cat meals and cat litter, and as long as there should not any preexisting circumstances that forestall it, the 2 kittens can actually share a food plan.
- All it takes is a fast search to find the lots of of strategies individuals use to create selfmade DIY cat toys and instruments. By creating these items at home, you should utilize money to put money into different requirements.
- Though your pet insurance coverage can have the next premium with two kittens, it’s vital to notice that cats who dwell in pairs are statistically more healthy. This implies that you’ll probably have much less purpose to go to the vet.
- Many shelters supply discounted charges for many who are adopting a number of kittens directly. In many instances, in addition they have assets that may give you a stable quantity of meals, litter, and toys to start out them off with.
The photograph featured on the high of this put up is © g215/Shutterstock.com