A house in Harvard was “completely lost” due to a fire Wednesday night, hurting no people however eliminating a number of family pets, authorities said.
The Harvard Fire Protection District reacted to the fire about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday to the 100 block of West Thompson Street after an onlooker strolled down to the station house and informed authorities, Deputy Chief Don Carlson said.
The reason for the fire is still under examination, however it’s believed to be a mishap brought on by an equipment breakdown in your home, Carlson said.
The family was not home at the time of the fire, Carlson said. One dog was resuscitated and required to the veterinarian, however another dog, together with a bunny, a guinea pig and a number of birds passed away.
Firefighters were on the scene up until about midnight “chasing around” the fire, Carlson said. The house was an old one, which led to firemens needing to pull ceilings, and make it through layers of plaster and dry wood.
Fire departments from Woodstock, Marengo, Hebron and Capron, in addition to Walworth, Sharon and Delavan in Wisconsin helped, Carlson said.
The Harvard Police Department and the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office likewise helped, Carlson said. The Salvation Army and Red Cross are assisting the family also.